Wednesday, May 02, 2007

55 E-mail: April mammogram

Sunday, April 29, 2007

I had a mammogram on April 10. April is my annual spot on the calendar from now on to get my digital mammograms. I went back to the facility at St. David’s and once again had a good experience with the sensitivity and kindness of their staff and the effectiveness of their equipment.

There was “nothing suspicious” to spur further investigation, and my radiologist’s written report says “normal” so I can breathe a sigh of relief. I never thought it could feel so good to be normal. I didn’t even know how stressed and worried I was that there would be bad news until I let out the figurative breath I’d been holding.

So for my one-year mammogram after cancer, I appear to still be cancer free. Hooray!

The radiologist recommends I return in six months to take another shot of the breast that had cancer. This is normal and in line with what they did last year.

So the question becomes, how many of you are 40 or older and haven’t gone for your annual mammogram in longer than a year? For you men, how many of your wives or partners have put off getting a mammogram? Yeah it’s inconvenient and uncomfortable, but the discomfort only lasts a few moments per image and it’s less invasive than a pap smear. I know a handful of women who told me during my treatment days that they were inspired by my experience to get their mammograms done. Now I’m the little sister wagging her finger. Take care of your health, loved ones, even if it involves discomfort and inconvenience. It’s worth it.

Love,
Angela

Previous - 54 E-mail: one year of survivorship
Next - 56 POEM: Radiation on a Rainy Day

No comments: